Wednesday, January 7, 2015

2015: A Year Full of Self-Acceptance... I Hope.


2015: A Year Full of Self-Acceptance... I Hope.

     According to Leon F. Seltzer, Ph.D,"Self-acceptance is an individual's satisfaction or happiness with one's self, and is thought to be necessary for good mental health. Self-acceptance involves self-understanding, a realistic, albeit subjective, awareness of one's strengths and weaknesses. It results in an individual's feeling about himself that he is of unique worth." My main goal for 2015 can be summed up in two words... self-acceptance. For as long as I can remember I have felt different, I could never quite put my finger on it. After years and years of feeling this way I finally figured it out but when I did I wasn't sure which was worst, not knowing and questioning everything or knowing and wishing I didn't. Four years later, and I'm still never 100% sure but what I do know is I can't keep waiting for others to accept and love me as I am when I don't fully accepted and love myself as I am. I'm ready to put myself in the driver's seat and stop waiting around for other people. Every time I feel myself straying from my new path to self-acceptance and happiness I will re-read this poem I wrote: 

Accept me for who I am, not what I am
Love me when I don't even love myself
One must love to be loved
Acceptance is the key to my happiness but I've given the key to everyone but me
I've been chained for so long, I've forgotten the sweet taste of happiness
I must break the chains of ignorance, the chains of hate, the chains of fear 
Before they forever become apart or me
As I break each chain link by link 
I will be one step closer to happiness, to freedom, to love, to peace
And one step farther from the edge, the sadness, the hatred, the fearfulness.
Perfection is NOT the goal, growth is.
     
            
 


  www.justoneinacrowd.com




No comments:

Post a Comment