Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Food Stamps: Americans are Sucking Us Dry

    Food Stamps: Americans are Sucking Us Dry

     Food stamps are defined as a voucher exchangeable for food, issued by the government to those below or at the poverty line. But why is it lower middle class, middle class and even upper middle class families are abusing the generosity of the federal government. The actually intent of programs like SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is to give struggling families a chance to get back on there feet, not provide extra grocery money for families that could otherwise afford it. The government needs to wake up and realize how our tax dollars are really being spent. Too often Americans take advantage of food stamp programs funded by our tax dollars.
     Day in and day out, I work hard for my paycheck but I feel as though it is all for nothing sometimes, a percentage of my hard earned money is taken out by the government. I was fine with doing my civic duty by helping my fellow America thru taxes, until I read Alexandra Carter's article, "Food Stamps: People Abusing Taxpayer Dollars"Carter discusses how easy it is to abuse SNAP and how hard regulating recipients can be. "The Food Stamp SurferCalifornian Jason Greenslate recently caused national outrage when Fox News exposed him for using tax payer dollars to buy lobster, sushi and alcohol with his food stamp card." Greenslate is a perfectly fit and able guy, he could go out today and find a job to support himself, instead of use tax dollars. The lack of embarrassment and morals is displayed as he nonchalantly admits to not wanting a job because he can live of American tax dollars. This great country was founded on integrity, our founding fathers put their blood, sweat and tears into our future. Greenslate and millions of Americans knowingly steal money right out of the government's pocket. Unfortunately, I have had an up close and personal argument about SNAP abuse with my sister-in-law. She buys all the name brand shoes and purses her little heart desires, recently she bought a Louis Vuitton purse valued at about $2,500. Louis Vuitton or not, it doesn't make a difference to me. But what does affect me is that SNAP card at the bottom of that Louis Vuitton purse. Maybe if you didn't buy thousand dollar purse you would be able to feed your two kids just fine. A family of four can receive $450 - $650 a month! Every time she mentions grocery shopping, I feel like I am footing the bill for her family along with the other leeches sucking America dry.
     Food Stamps do keep some families' heads above water and without some help they would go hungry. I've gathered that the people abusing government assistance programs philosophy is "Why not? It's free money. That's the beauty of America!", said by my sister-in-law. I will say this over and over again until I'm blue in the face, government assistance programs are for families at or below the poverty line, not the soccer mom down the street that wants a little extra money in her pocket for a new pair of shoes. It can't just be little ole me, the government needs to grow a pair and fight back. If there were actual consequences for these actions, people would be less likely to commit the offense in the first place.
     Federal assistance programs like SNAP are the difference between a family eating that day or not. But when these same programs are continually abused time and time again, there is a problem. The government and Americans are at fault. The government needs to implement a no tolerance policy for abuse of tax funded programs. And Americans need get some integrity and stop mooching off the hard working people, and work for what they want if life.
www.thepeoplescube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment