Wednesday, October 8, 2014

My Go World Analysis

     

My Go World Analysis 

     When I was first assigned this project I was stumped. I began to think of all the eventful memories in my life; dealing with loosing a loved one, my coming out story, choosing which parent to live with, the list goes on and on but none of them seemed to really jump out at me. Until a light bulb went off the night before the best draft was due. EDUCATION! The single word that describes my motivation in life. What better story to tell then your childhood dream, that is steadily approaching completion. The next hill to climb was word choice, the make it or break it factor of the project. I can honestly say this was one of my first times writing draft after draft with different variation of diction and sentence structure. Usually my drafts are written with the one and done policy.
     The first few drafts left out small but important details, that would leave my audience with some confusion. After reading every draft I asked myself, "If I knew nothing about the story or myself would this make sense?" Many times the answer was "no" until I added very necessary details and extracted all the "fluff" words. Looking back in my writer's notebook I've written at least ten drafts, and each was an improvement from the previous one. 
     My drafts improved because each time I learned how diction, sentence structure and imagery played a huge role in bringing forth emotion. As I continuously got feedback from my peers and teacher I saw I had a good Go World story developing. Initially, I gained feedback when my class held a group discussion about the correct way to give and receive constructive criticism. After preparing my best draft and reading it aloud in class I received a plethora of sticky notes filled with critiques. I found this to be the most beneficial activity we did as a class because my classmates don't have all the background knowledge that I do so after reading their sticky notes I saw my story threw their eyes.
     Following the creation of my new best draft I started exploring the world of Animoto. Being this was my first time using the app it took me a minute to figure out what would help enhance the emotion in my story. After playing around a little I found the perfect backgrounds and sound to match. One of the trickiest steps was figuring out how to break up the sentences in sections to fit in the given text space, while maintaining the structure and flow. Finally, everything was complete! To watch my Go World video click here!

     At the end of the day I was actually proud of myself, there were times when I wasn't sure if I could make an emotional and moving video. I questioned my abilities at every turn the idea of a piece of my life being displayed for the whole class to see was a bit unsettling. I'm not the type of person who puts there feelings on display for the whole world to see but this time I am glad I did. Your peers can be the toughest critics but I now realize I had nothing to worry about. 

1 comment:

  1. This part is important: "After reading every draft I asked myself, "If I knew nothing about the story or myself would this make sense?"' The best writers question the moves they make as they craft meaning. Nice thinking here. 7

    ReplyDelete