Monday, October 27, 2014

My Reading Life




A Stolen Life - Book Trailer

    My reading life was improved dramatically, so far I have tripled the number of the books I have read compared to last year. I am falling in love with reading for the first time, I've found a genre that I actually enjoy reading. For me this feeling is uncharted territory. The best book I have ever read is "A Stolen Life: A Memoir" by Jaycyee Dugard, if I hadn't known this was I memoir I wouldnt have believed the events that accrued, Dugard's ability to always see the brighter side of things during a time of darkness is inspirational. The second best book I've read is "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls, the book reads like a novel but is also a memoir. The other books I've read this year are "The Liars' Club" by Mary Karr, "The Dictionary of High School B.S." by Lois Beckwith, and "Sula" by Toni Morrison. I'm starting to see a pattern, reading about other people' s disfunctional lives and adversities interest me the most. Reading all these books has made me realize I get bored easily when reading, a book as to be good from beginning to end for me to read it until the end. The most difficult book was "Sula" because of the dialogue. The book was set in the south, the southern droll made words difficult to recognize when written. My solution was to listen to the audio book, after jumping over that hurdle I began to enjoy the book more. The hardest part about maintaining my reading life is making time to read. Before I wouldn't be caught dead reading anywhere outside of the classroom, but now I read everywhere and anywhere. When you have a good book in hand it is easy to find time to read. I have made a lot of progress so far but I'm still a long ways away from my reading goals. Having a faster reading rate is my main goal because it will not only help me in English but also in all my other classes. My second goal is to improve my ability to spell. I could hear a word and use it correctly repeatedly but when it comes to using it in my writing I never do because spelling is an issue. As a result, I dumb down my written by only using words I know how to spell correctly. 



4 comments:

  1. This post is really detailed with your reading life. I see you have read A lot of books......interesting. I like your use of vocabulary as well. I don't seee many paragraphs though.......interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can very much relate to you about your issue with writing words. I come across all these high level vocabulary words, yet I can't wrap my head on how to use it in sentences, thereby, making my writing basic. I recommend focusing on the words while you read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this line is very insightful: "I'm starting to see a pattern, reading about other people' s disfunctional lives and adversities interest me the most." When we start to recognize patterns in our learning and thinking we grow. You've done a fine job of reading so far. Those words you struggle with will come. The more you grow as a reader the more confident you will become as a writer. It always works out that way. 7

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amazed at the wonderful stack of books you have read! It really inspired me that even if you have a busy life, there is still time to crack a book open. My only suggestion is to make grammar and spelling corrections before you post.

    ReplyDelete